Tuesday, April 28, 2015

AtoZ Challenge: Y - Why You Should Visit Hannibal, MO

That's my boy!
Greetings from Hannibal, MO, Mark Twain's boyhood hometown, my theme for this year's AtoZ Challenge.

Here's one more reason to visit Hannibal: FOOTBALL! Hannibal High School is home to an aggressive football program with 8 wins and 3 losses this past season and many trips to state over the years. Football starts early in the pee-wee leagues, then introduced to the school system in seventh grade. You better love the sport by high school.

This year, my son won an epic award: Hannibal Football Player of the Year. I was in tears. Two summers ago, he broke his arm during wrestling camp. After two plates and thirteen screws, he has made a full recovery. He was in a cast for over three months. Now, you understand why I am so proud of him! I decided to post his picture because he's in the newspaper here every week during football and wrestling seasons. WGEM out of Quincy, IL has highlighted his victories several times.


Hannibal High School built in 1896 and still in use!
Mark Twain spoke at Hannibal High School's commencement ceremony on May 30, 1902, in this very building. As I was taking this pic the other day, my second son yelled out the car window, "Mom! Get back in the car. They're going to call the police on you."

Empty bleachers before the game
Hannibal sunsets...
The craziest weather happens during fb games
Do your kids make you proud? Do they ever embarrass you? Are you pumped that tomorrow is Z-Day?!

21 comments:

  1. I'm a little sad to see the A to Z Challenge end, although it seems people have lost interest in reading blogs. Maybe we're all just having a hard time keeping up! I'm moving Saturday...so all I can think of is that today is "closing" day and tomorrow is the day I have to finish up all my work in case the cable people don't hook up our Internet at the new place Friday as promised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the move, Stephanie!

      Delete
    2. I am sad to see it end, but we will meet up again...IWSG?? :) Good luck with the move!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Jennifer! I love your blog, and I only found it because you were kind enough to stop by at mine! I've always wondered what Hannibal, MO looks like these days. Thank you, and congratulations on being THIS CLOSE to finishing the A to Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you like it and stopped by as well. Now is the perfect time to hit Hannibal:)

      Delete
  3. That sunset picture is stunning! I'd like to go to Hannibal just to witness some sunsets. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's not a rarity. Those glorious sunsets appear almost every game!

      Delete
  4. That sunset picture is stunning! I'd like to go to Hannibal just to witness some sunsets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to you and your son! That award sounds like quite the honor in a place so into football.

    My kids make me proud and crazy almost on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do feel like I should get some kind of award for raising him;-)

      Delete
  6. Congrats to you and your son! That award sounds like quite the honor in a place so into football.

    My kids make me proud and crazy almost on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to your son. My eldest son made me very proud recently, by showing off some amazing film-making talent.

    I've had a great time meeting new bloggers, but I'll be happy when it's over too. I plan a completely non-internet day on Friday :-)

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son loves all things techie: making videos, taking & editing photos, gaming :) Sounds like they're a lot alike!

      Delete
  8. Interesting writing Jennifer. I've just happened on your A-Z thing. I've been doing the napowrimo for April. Exhausting - but finished tomorrow.
    See my words at:
    gramswisewords.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'll check out your blog

      Delete
  9. Your son must have been very determined to get past his injury and get back in the game. Good for him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to your son. I'm glad he made a full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for your son for recovering and making it to the top of his sport. He looks pretty tough :) Beautiful photos, too. I love that your younger son thought someone would call the cops for you taking photos of the school. These days, that actually happens if there are kids around--seriously, there was a news story about that in our local paper. I'm proud of my son for staying in Australia for over 4 months now, though I miss him a lot. He has had many a broken arm, wrist, heel, stitches, etc., but that's an active boy for you. Yay for Z tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, coming back from two plates and thirteen screws is pretty impressive, I'll give him that. I hope his friends call him "Cyborg."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to you and your son!
    I say you because the mom's do all the hard work. :)
    Football is BIG here in NY as well.
    My son is 9 and this will be his 4th year in football. He loves it.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awards by children make the parents proud always :-)

    ReplyDelete

February #IWSG: Just Do It

                  Come join Alex J. Cavanaugh and the Insecure Writer's Support Group. We discuss our fears, insecurities, ups and downs...